Mr. and Mrs. Charles F. Mains became proprietors in 1945. Two fully furnished year-round homes were destroyed by fire at the lodge on May 23, 1947. Mrs. Mains had started cooking supper and was interrupted by someone wishing to make a purchase in the adjacent store. A telephone alarm quickly brought people who fought the fire for three hours. A building 15 feet away and 2 homes were quickly ignited. Mr. Mains lost all his clothes with the exception of the one suit he was wearing.